Sodium benzoate is the sodium salt of benzoic acid, widely used as a food preservative and a pickling agent. It appears as a white crystalline chemical with the formula C6H5COONa. Tiny amounts of sodium benzoate are naturally found in fruits like apples, prunes and cranberries
Food is one of the most common areas of use of sodium benzoate. Food manufacturers use it as a preservative in order to prevent spoilage. Acidic products like soda, hot sauce, jams, jellies and sauerkraut are the most common sources of sodium benzoate. It is also used in personal care products, cosmetics and hair care formulations. Since it prevents fungi and bacteria from developing and changing compositions or allowing contamination, it is widely used by manufacturers across a wide spectrum of industries
Dawn’s Sodium Benzoate basically is a food grade preservative found in a variety of edible items, beverages and many other products.
- Excellent preservative to prevent foods & other items from molding.
- Used as preservative in cosmetics & personal care items.
- It may be used as a stabilizer in photo processing.
- Outstanding in preventing corrosion, such as in coolants for car engines.
- Used for preserving acidic beverages and foods like soft drinks, fruit juices, salad dressings and pickles.
- Improve the strength of some types of plastic.
It is generally recognized to be safe in small doses but may however cause harmful effects under certain conditions. Nevertheless, knowing facts about sodium benzoate will allow you to assess risks and benefits more accurately.
NOTE : Any of above statements have not been evaluated by the food and drug administration (FDA).This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease. This information provided is general and should not be taken as medical advice. We strongly advise you to have a test batch before use.